Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Kids of Pokuase

















The kids of Pokuase are truly special, or at least I have a special relationship with many of them. They are not used to a white person, or to an adult playing with them or giving them a great deal of attention. I become a major attraction when I am there.

On many days, I walk down the street to pick up some of the kids from school. I become Celestina’s, or Laudina’s, or Harriet’s grandmother. I always carry Laudina home on my back.

As I walk down the streets, the kids yell “obruni, obruni” (white person, white person); the response they love to hear is “obibini, obibini” (black person, black person). It is always followed by excitement and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hands photo by Dani Abrams