Monday, June 22, 2009

Field Trips




Pokuase is located about an hour north of Accra, the capital of Ghana. Accra is on the sea. Most of the Pokuase kids have never been to Accra, and have never seen the sea.

On each of my trips to Ghana, I choose three of the older kids, those who have been the most helpful, and take them to Accra on one Saturday. We have a deal. I pay for the tro-tro (public transportation) and give them each 3 Ghana cedis – worth about $2.50. They can do whatever they want with their money – save it, spend it, buy food or water. They cannot ask me for anything else.

This has worked. 3 Ghana cedis is more money than they have ever had at once. On one trip, we visited the sea, and ended up touring the football (soccer) stadium. It is a very special treat – for them and for me. How wonderful to have the opportunity to introduce them to their own country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hands photo by Dani Abrams