Monday, June 22, 2009

Art Classes




Art classes seem to be mostly nonexistent in Pokuase.

I bring along donated crayons, markers, colored pencils, stickers, etc., etc. On the first trip I brought a ream of paper, but surprisingly enough, it was easy to purchase paper in Pokuase. I taught a few of the older kids to make simple stitched pamphlet books. We made enough for every kid in the neighborhood.

Every child and teenager was welcome at our twice-weekly classes. Each one received a blank book and some writing / drawing supplies. These were returned at the end of each class, to be retrieved the next time they attended.

Word spread, and our classroom was always full.

My plan for distribution of all the supplies on the last day usually ended in bedlam. And I thought it would be simple to just give it all away….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Hands photo by Dani Abrams